French firefighters battled for a second day on Thursday to contain its biggest wildfire in nearly eight decades, which has burnt over 16,000 hectares and killed one person.
Reuters TV images showed plumes of smoke rising over the forest area in the region of Aude in southern France.
"As of now, the fire has not been brought under control," Christophe Magny, one of the officials leading the firefighting operation, told BFM TV.
The blaze near the border with Spain towards the Mediterranean Sea began earlier this week and has already swept through an area bigger than Paris. Officials have said it is France's biggest wildfire since 1949.
Scientists say the Mediterranean region's hotter, drier summers put it at high risk of wildfires.

Former Cuban President Raul Castro charged with murder in US
Tankers exit Hormuz as Trump, Vance talk up Iran deal prospects
WHO says 139 suspected Ebola deaths in Congo outbreak, numbers expected to rise
China's Xi, Russia's Putin praise ties but see no energy headway at Beijing talks
Russian attacks kill two in Ukraine; Kyiv drones strike central Russia
